Below are several resources to help you to learn more about mindfulness and the ways it can be incorporated into your life. If you sign up for our newsletter, we’ll send you our free e-book that includes many additional resources. The handbooks provided in our courses and workshops also include a list of related publications, websites, and more.
We encourage you to review these resources and contact us with any questions that may not be answered on our website.
- Davidson, Richard, et al. Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation. Psychosomatic Medicine July/August, 65 no. 4: 564-570. 2003.
- Holzel, Carmody, et al. Mindfulness practice leads to increases in regional brain gray matter density. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 2011; 191.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon, et al. The clinical use of mindfulness meditation for the self-regulation of chronic pain. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 8 (2): 163-189. 1984. Three-year follow-up of a meditation-based program for the self-regulation of chronic pain: treatment outcomes and compliance. The Clinical Journal of Pain, 2: 159-173. 1987.
- Kerr, Catherine, et al. Mindfulness starts with the body: somatosensory attention and top-down modulation of cortical alpha rhythms in mindfulness meditation. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 13. 2013.
- Killingsworth, Mathew A. Gilbert, Daniel T. A wandering mind is an unhappy mind, Science, VOL 330, 12 November 2010, www.sciencemag.org.
- Marano, Hara Estroff. Our Brain’s Negative Bias, Psychology Today, June 20, 2003.
- McCracken, Lance, et al. Acceptance-based treatment for persons with complex, long standing chronic pain: a preliminary analysis of treatment outcome in comparison to a waiting phase. Behaviour Research and Therapy 43: 1335–1346. 2005.
- Mrazek, Michael D., et al. Mindfulness training improves working memory xapacity and GRE performance while reducing mind wandering, Journal of Psychological Science, July 16, 2012.
- Praissman, Sharon Mindfulness-based stress reduction: A literature review and clinician’s guide. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 20: 212–216. 2008.
- Shapiro, Shauna, et al. Teaching self-care to caregivers: Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on the mental health of therapists in training, http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/tep/1/2/105/
- Whitebird, RR, et al. Mindfulness-based stress reduction for family caregivers: a randomized controlled trial. Gerontologist. 2013 Aug;53(4):676-86. doi: 10.1093/geront/gns126. Epub 2012 Oct 15.
- Yi-Yung, Tang, et al. Mechanisms of white matter changes induced by meditation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Jun 26;109(26):10570-4. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1207817109. Epub 2012 Jun 11.
- Zeiden, Johnson, et al. Mindfulness meditation improves cognition: Evidence of brief mental training, consciousness and cognition, 19(2): 597-605, June 2010.
Jon Kabat-Zinn, founder of The Stress Reduction Clinic at the University of Massachusetts Medical School, wrote this book as a complete summary of the 8-week Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course. It's a terrific resource!
- Begley, Sharon. Train Your Mind, Change Your Brain: How a New Science Reveals Our Extraordinary Potential to Transform Ourselves. Ballantine Books, 2007.
- Burch, Vidyamala. Living Well with Pain and Illness: The Mindful Way to Free Yourself from Suffering. Sounds True, 2010.
- Chozen Bays, Jan. Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food. Shambhala, 2009.
- Germer, Christopher. The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion: Freeing Yourself from Destructive Thoughts and Emotions. Guilford, 2009.
- Gordhamer, Soren. Wisdom 2.0: Ancient Secrets for the Creative and Constantly Connected. HarperOne, 2009.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation. Beacon, 1976.
- Hanson, Rick. Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom. Harbinger, 2009.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation In Everyday Life. Hyperion, 1994.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Coming To Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness. Hyperion, 2005.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon and Myla. Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting. Hyperion, 1997.
- Kaiser Greenland, Susan. The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become, Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate. Free Press, 2015.
- Kornfield, Jack. A Path With a Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life. Bantam, 1993.
- Kramer, Gregory. Insight Dialogue: The Interpersonal Path to Freedom. Shambhala, 2007.
- Lozoff, Bo. It’s a Meaningful Life – It Just Takes Practice. Compass, 2001.
- Orsillo, Susan & Lizabeth Roemer. Worry Less, Live More: The Mindful Way through Anxiety. Guilford, 2011.
- Rosenberg, Larry. Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation. Shambhala, 1998.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Lovingkindness: the Revolutionary Art of Happiness. Shambhala, 2002.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation. Workman, 2011.
- Santorelli, Saki. Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine. Bell Tower, 1999.
- Williams, Teasdale, et al. The Mindful Way Through Depression. Guilford, 2007.